Open Fire Mix
- Dr. Heat Firelighters are made in the UK from dried chopped miscanthus grass soaked in scented candle wax waste from a candle manufacturing factory.
- Hotmax are made from the waste fines (bark and wood) left over from the manufacture of horse bedding shavings.
- RUF Oak is a clean dense square briquette made from pure oak sawdust from a furniture factory.
- Oak Pini-kay are made from pure Oak hardwood shavings generated from a furniture and flooring manufacturer.
- Baby Beech are made from pure beech sawdust shavings generated as a by-product from a furniture manufacturer.
- Dr. Heat Firelighters light easily and burn for about ten minutes, easily setting light to any good dry kindling. We like the fact they are a UK product and a highly effective, easy to use lighter.
- Hotmax can be used as a kindling to light or revive any fire. Being quite small they also make an ideal main fuel for small stoves under 5kw. They can be variable in density with the harder denser briquettes being best for using as a main fuel whilst the softer lighter ones are best for use as a kindling.
- RUF Oak are best used as a ‘heat sink’ in the back of your fire where they will cook away for four or five hours. I use two or three, depending on stove size, stood on their long edge in an open ‘V’ with a good firelighter in the centre of the ‘V’ and a pickle of kindling (Hotmax or Cut Pini-kay) in the centre. Place half of any other main fuel briquette across the top and you will maximise heat output and fire longevity together with minimising cost per kWh generated.
- Oak Pini-kay produce an excellent flame for half and hour or so, after which they glow long and hot for several hours producing a good heart in your fire. Easy to light and quickly give you a rewarding flame and heat.
- Baby Beech are exceedingly dense making them slightly more difficult to light. You need a good firelighter together with good kindling, such as Dr. Heat and Cut Pini-kay. The benefit is that these excellent briquettes will produce lots of heat and a great flame but turn down the airflow and they will cook for hours, even overnight in a small stove. They work very well in conjunction with RUF oak.
This mix is ideal for open fires, which can be greedy to feed compared with stoves. Open fires require fuel that expands only minimally to be sure it does not spill over into the heart. All these briquettes have been selected on that basis. Please be sure to build you fire slowly. Do not put too many briquettes on at one time. I suggest two RUF Oak, a pickle of Hotmax and just one Pini-K or Baby Beech at a time.
None of our briquettes contain additives or chemicals. They are made from pure, untreated wood by-product and are held together by compression alone.
Country of Origin:
Calorific value: 4.8 kWh/kg
Max. ash content: 0.7%
Max. water content: <8%
Product Standard: n/a
All these briquettes come in a plastic outer. Please check with your local authority for recycling facilities.
The briquetting industry uses plastic to wrap wood briquettes in order to ensure they stay dry, as damp briquettes break up and are unsuitable for burning. The environmental impact of our products is important to us, so we are constantly working with our suppliers to improve the sustainability of their packaging by using cardboard in place of plastic wherever possible.